Monday, December 3, 2007

Record Reviews 12/03/07

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Mother Of Mercy "No Eden" (Self released demo CDR)

This is the debut release from Doylestown, PA's Mother Of Mercy. When I first heard about this band, I was expecting an almost "horror punk" feel to the music, because of the Samhain reference. I was wrong. The band features Bob and Kyle, both from Let Down (see below review) but sounds a good deal different from Let Down. Since the bands share members, comparisons are going to be inevitable. MOM (best abbreviation for a band, possibly ever?) are a lot more mid tempo than Let Down. I would say that musically this demo would have fit perfectly on Victory Records roster, circa 1993. It's definitely heavy, but without being metal, and has some groove as well. Bob still sounds super pissed off, and his vocals compliment the music very well. I'm not sure how serious MOM can be, since Let Down seem to be a pretty active band these days, but I'm curious to see what they have in store.

Get this if you like: Unbroken, Count Me Out, Let Down

For more info: www.myspace.com/motherofmercyhc


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Let Down "Sacrifice Me" (Six Feet Under Records)

Mark my words, 2008 will be the year of Let Down. This record is awesome. Four songs of super fast, pissed off straight edge hardcore. It's awesome to me that there are still bands like this. This band has been around for about three years and I've seen them since the beginning and they just keep getting better everytime. Each record is a step up from the next as well. My only complaint about the entire thing is that it's TOO SHORT! It's over before you know it, but apparently they are working on a full length, which I think they will totally be able to pull off. This band needs to be seen live to be fully experienced, however.

Get this if you like: Panic, AN, Negative Approach

For more info: www.myspace.com/letxdown


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Inhuman "Last Rites" (I Scream Records)

Inhuman has always been one of those bands whose name I would see on a flier for some crazy awesome CBGB show, yet I'd never actually seen or heard. I think this record is definitely going to change that. I went into this having no idea what to expect and came out extremely satisfied. According to their press bio that came with this record, they've been releasing music in one form or another since 1996. For those who can't count, that's eleven years! In hardcore time, that's extremely impressive. The bands New York roots definitely shine through on this recording...very heavy and lots of breakdowns and singalongs. The recording itself sounds awesome, courtesy of Dean Baltulonis (Madball, Sick Of It All, No Warning) and will be sure to win them new fans as well as please old ones. There is also a more "streetpunk" feel to the record at times, which definitely helps to spice things up. All in all, I would say this is a solid release by a band that's been at it a long time.

Get this if you like: Sick Of It All, Agnostic Front, Madball

For more info: www.myspace.com/inhuman


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Shipwreck a.d. "Abyss" (Deathwish Inc.)

I'll admit it, I kinda slept on this band. I had seen them a few times and thought that they were decent, but nothing that made me want to run out and buy any of their stuff. That has changed now that I have heard this full length. This band has truly come into their own. Following up last years 7" on Deathwish, comes "Abyss"...eleven songs of innovative, heavy hardcore. When I saw them at the aforementioned shows, I thought they just sounded like No Warning with guitar solos. I couldn't have been more off the mark. This record has a total mid 90's feel, and owes a thing or two to the Cleveland hardcore style. I haven't had a chance to look at the lyrics yet, but one of the things I notice is that all of the song titles are one word. Weird. Great record though.

Get this if you like: Ringworm, Integrity, 108

For more info: www.myspace.com/shipwreckmv


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The Mongoloids "Time Trials" (Six Feet Under Records)

This is definitely a surprise. When I first heard the name "The Mongoloids" I assumed the band was going to be more of a "punk" sounding band, with joke songs. After seeing them about a year ago for the first time, I realised that I was completely off the mark. Coming off of a split EP that was released earlier this year, comes their full length debut "Time Trials". This record is loaded with singalongs, guest spots and breakdowns that will be sure to please any fan of heavy hardcore. The album is fourteen "real" songs and then a bunch of bonus tracks at the end. My only complaint about this record is that, even though there is not neccessarily any bad songs, I feel that it might have benefited from being an 11 or 12 song LP as opposed to 14. But that's just me. This is one of those bands that's awesome on record, but REALLY awesome live too. So get into it. Also, they rep the straight edge, which always gets a thumbs up in my book.

Get this if you like: Biohazard, Cro Mags, Sheer Terror

For more info: www.myspace.com/mongoloidsnj

No comments: